Working with us
The process begins with a phone consultation where we learn about your:
- Project intentions: Our first step is to clarify your goals and figure out the what and why. How do you want the space to feel? to perform? This will guide our design strategy.
- Project scope: What do you want to build? Do you have a vision or an existing design or plans that you're working from?
- Schedule: Will our availability align with when you need the project completed by? Achieving the best results takes time and we don't overbook our schedule.
- Budget: Do you have the funds available and have you established your priorities based on your resources?
- Construction costs vary radically depending on what site work, engineering, is required and the finishes, glazing, structural work and systems are selected. Our residential remodeling projects typically start from +$200/square foot and up and new, high-performance construction costing +$225/square foot. For a helpful reference see this cheat sheet. Commercial projects costs vary widely depending on the business and what equipment and facilities they require.
If we seem a good fit for each other we will meet for a free thirty minute on site consultation with you and your other important project decision makers. At this meeting we'll evaluate your site and see if our personalities and the project are the right "fit". Chemistry is vital to a process that is highly involved and committed. We'll discuss the high level feasibility of the project (obvious structural, zoning, or infrastructural obstacles) and review our process and examples of drawings and analysis work.
If we decide to work together we'll provide you with a contract for Design + Project Evaluation.
Design + Project Evaluation
We will provide you with a detailed questionnaire to fill out, start a shared inspiration board to give our initial notions a visual reference, and begin gathering our measurements and data to begin the design process.
Our vision of design is as a collaborative process between the Client (you), the Designer (us), additional team members (landscape designers, engineers, specialists) and the site and/or existing building(s). Our philosophy is that the design must be high-performing in comfort and energy use, integrate into its site/context/community, and, most importantly, be loved by the Client.
Based on this information we begin the schematic design phase, generating plan drawings and massing sketches of potential strategies. We research the relevant local zoning, building, and historic codes of the area for any regulations that will affect the project. We'll discuss these together, sometimes through several rounds of revisions and discussions until we've hybridized a satisfying central concept. Next is the design development phase where we define the materials, systems, and details through elevation, section and perspective drawings. In the final drawing phase we'll complete the specifications of fixtures, finishes, doors and windows, and have a clear vision of the construction of the project. Throughout this process we'll meet to discuss the designs in process and make key decisions vital to moving the project forward.
The end result will be a clear description of the final product in its design, the scope of work we will include, and what it will cost to build.
Building your Project
The detailed scope of work included in your contract includes a schedule and sequence of the construction phases to make the process as smooth as possible. Depending on your availability and the size and scope of the work we will meet weekly to discuss job progress, address any concerns, and solidify any small decisions such as paint or grout color. Construction is a dance: it moves beautifully with good partners. We work with trusted and excellent local subcontractors (plumbing, electrical, HVAC). We minimize job site waste and use re-purposed and reclaimed materials wherever possible.